Ever since Van Halen’s legendary ban on brown M&Ms, we have been fascinated by popular musicians’ tour rider requests. A rider is the comprehensive list of contractual obligations the tour manager must provide for a successful performance. These include technical and security provisions, but of most interest to us are the backstage food requests. Artists know that what they consume before a concert directly effects how much they will proverbially melt the audiences’ faces.
Jack White’s rider was released online in February preceding a concert at University of Oklahoma. The 20+ page list of demands includes a clearly defined guacamole recipe. The specificity of his instructions leads us to believe that Jack White has stumbled onto some initial benefits of the Taco Cleanse. Clearly, his energetic act couldn’t be undertaken without the higher vibrations provided by smashed avocados and lime juice. Imagine how his music would be elevated if he requested exclusively taco-based superfoods for his pre-show munchies.
We urge you so contact Jack White’s record label (@thirdmanrecords) and suggest that he and his labelmates include the Taco Cleanse on their tour riders in the future so they may rock out at a truly Fuego level. If you are unable to sneak backstage to try his signature dip, you can find the recipe below to enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
Jack White’s Guacamole Recipe:
- 8 x large, ripe Haas avocados (cut in half the long way, remove the pit—SAVE THE PIT THOUGH—, and dice into large cubes with a butter knife. 3 or 4 slits down, 3 or 4 across. You’ll scoop out the chunks with a spoon, careful to maintain the avocado in fairly large chunks.)
- 4 x vine-ripened tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 x yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 x full bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 4 x Serrano peppers (de-veined and chopped)
- 1 x lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, careful not to mush the avocados too much. We want it chunky. Once properly mixed and tested, add the pits into the guacamole and even out the top with a spoon or spatula. Add 1/2 lime to the top later so you cover most of the surface with the juice (The pits and lime will keep it from browning prematurely.) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until served. Please don’t make it too early before it’s served. We’d love to have it around 5 p.m.
You can view the full rider here: link